In this help article, we want to provide you with more information about BTL1 so you can make an informed decision on whether our training and certification is the right investment for your career.
Remember, we're biased, it's our training. We'll try to remain neutral in this post, but you should always do your own research using multiple sources.
What is BTL1?
Blue Team Level 1 is our entry-level/junior practical cybersecurity training course and certification exam. Primarily designed for Tier One SOC Analysts, BTL1 covers a wide range of content, with the following domains:
- Security Fundamentals - Building the foundations for the course, you'll learn basic security, networking, management and soft skills concepts.
- Phishing Analysis - You will learn how to identify, categorize, analyze, and respond to phishing emails, including retrieving artifacts and performing analysis on them to identify risks, then apply controls to mitigate them.
- Digital Forensics - You will learn computer forensic concepts, then use a range of tools to perform investigations across Windows and linux-based systems to collect and analyze artifacts, including hard-drive and memory forensics with Autopsy and Volatility.
- Threat Intelligence - You will learn threat intelligence concepts, and understand the differences between operational, strategic, and tactical threat intelligence. You will use a Threat Intelligence Platform, MISP, to understand how threat intelligence analysts record and utilise data about cyber attacks and threat actors.
- SIEM - You will learn how to utilize SIEM tools such as Splunk to aggregate and analyze security information and events from various sources. This knowledge will empower them to effectively detect, respond to, and mitigate potential security incidents.
- Incident Response - Learn to swiftly respond to security incidents with skills in creating and implementing incident response plans, covering containment, eradication, recovery, and continuous improvement.
When purchasing BTL1, you will receive the following:
- 4 months access to the on-demand BTL1 training materials (written lessons, videos, quizzes, activities, labs)
- 100 lab hours (most students use around 5-10 hour before passing the exam)
- 2 exam attempts that must be used within 12 months of starting
- (When certified) Physical rewards gift including a printed certificate, SBT sticker, and challenge coin
- (When certified) Digital rewards gift including a Credly digital badge, digital certificate, and Blue Team Labs Online badge and title.
How can BTL1 provide value to me?
BTL1 provides students with an interactive and hands-on training course, where you will be using real-world tools in simulated environments, called labs. This allows you to gain near real-life experience without already working in the field. Many students have told us that recruiters are very impressed when candidates discuss the projects and labs they have completed during the interview stage!
Compared to popular entry-level theory-based exams, BTL1 helps transfer real-world practical skills that will set you apart from other individuals.
Student Success Stories
We have a page dedicated to highlighting the success of students that have gone through BTL1, including real quotes provided by them about how BTL1 has helped them. You can view this page here:
Reviewing real students' thoughts
Lots of students have posted their own blog posts or YouTube videos on BTL1. We recommend you do some research and review their first-hand accounts of what they liked (and didn't like) to help make your decision.
A good way to see real students' thoughts is to search on LinkedIn for "#BTL1", including the quotation marks, filtering by posts, then the last 30 days. From here you can read posts that mention the hashtag BTL1 to see what real people are saying.